Last February, Lachelle Chyrsanne compiled a list of 25 must watch Black art documentaries.
From the list, I’ve only seen 5:
- Beats, Rhymes, and Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest (2011)
- Black Is the Color: A History of African American Art (2017)
- I Am Not Your Negro (2016)
- Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child (2010)
- Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (2019)
There’s no time limit on watching these so I’ll add them to my ever-growing Letterboxd watchlist. The documentaries I have watched were very powerful and worth your time and investment.