Sad day for zoo lovers: Bristol Zoo has closed after 186 years.
Due to the pandemic, and a new focus on The Wild Place Project, also owned by the charity, the zoo closed for the final time on Saturday.
The zoo said it had welcomed about 90 million visitors since it opened and its conservation programmes had helped save many species from extinction.
Scores of people queued up on Saturday morning to visit the Victorian-era zoo before it closed for good.via BBC
I never visited Bristol Zoo but I appreciate the sadness of it closing (it is being relocated). Here are some more articles on its closure and some from “the archives”:
Articles about Bristol Zoo
- Bristol Zoo closure: in pictures
- Bristol Zoo Gardens memories and pictures stretching back 70 years
- Baby gorilla born after rare caesarean at Bristol zoo
- Bristol Zoo: ‘Wilder’ the giant gorilla unveiled
- Mouse deer born at Bristol Zoo is the height of a pencil
- Bristol zoo eggs raise hopes for endangered stick insect
- First outing for Bristol Zoo’s baby pygmy hippo