Wimbledon is drawing to a close, with all the remaining finals being played this weekend. To mark the end of those two weeks of tennis court action, here is a selection of tracks about tennis (in one way or another). I couldn’t believe some of the titles and artist names when I was spot-digging for songs. It just so happens I’m working on a Federer-themed album but it hasn’t left the idea stage yet.
Some of the tracks are obviously tennis-related, like Pixel Perfect’s Tennis Court and Indian Wells’s Wimbledon 1980. But some are coincidental like Jackie McLean’s Davis Cup. Wyclef Jean’s I’m Ready is the most tenuously linked song; a nod to players telling their opponents that they’re ready to receive serve.
Of course, tennis is for life not just for the Wimbledon Championships, so enjoy this playlist all year round.
- Tennis – Needle And A Knife
- Sky Sailing – Tennis Elbow
- De La Soul’s Plug 1 & Plug 2 present First Serve – Tennis
- Jim Noir – Ping Pong Time Tennis
- Pixel Perfect – Tennis Court
- Telemachus – Tennis Season
- Binge – “Grand Slam Man (Roger Federer)”
- Indian Wells – Wimbledon 1980
- Florent Campana – Roland Garros
- Sasse – Flushing Meadows
- The Herbaliser – Game Set and Match
- Jackie McLean – Davis Cup
- Yannick Noah – On court
- The German Art Students – Bjorn Borg
- Wyclef Jean – I’m Ready
- Profesor Mercury – Astro-Música Rafa nadal Op. 350 -A-
- Lorde – Tennis Court
- Lilys – The Tennis System (And Its Stars)
- Chris Rea – Tennis
- The Bicycle Thief – Tennis Shoes
- Pernice Brothers – The Ballad of Bjorn Borg
- Half Man Half Biscuit – Outbreak of Vitas Gerulatis
- Frank Turner – Love Forty Down
Update: Thanks to His Top Ten for finding even more songs I didn’t know about.